1.24.18 | Borinquen Coqui attends City of Oaks Challenge
Over the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend Triangle Volleyball Club hosted the members of Borinquen Coqui 16-F, a junior girls’ volleyball team from Puerto Rico. Triangle had first met Coach Steven Fenosik the previous year when they attended the annual event.
After Hurricanes Irma and Maria ravaged the island leaving nearly all its residents and businesses with electricity or water Triangle’s Executive Director, Sherry Fadool, checked in with Coach Steven. The state of the island was near total devastation, a volleyball season seemed very unlikely. That’s when the members of Triangle Volleyball Club banded together to make possible a trip to Raleigh allowing the team to get to the mainland and compete. Raising nearly $10,000 and assisting the team with ground transportation and meals, Triangle welcomed the 15 athletes, 2 coaches and 2 chaperones.
“The weekend was an amazing bonding experience for our athletes and families,” said Fadool. “A simple act of kindness gave these young athletes a respite from the recovery and an opportunity to make new friends.”
WRAL’s Luke Notestine covered the team’s visit; the story can be viewed HERE. Borinquen Coqui, a team that could only practice on weekends in a gym with no electricity finished tied for third in an impressive 16s field.
THANK YOU to all who attended the third annual City of Oaks Challenge. All of us at Triangle and the City of Raleigh truly enjoyed hosting your team and guests. There were many exciting matches and great play throughout the Raleigh Convention Center. We were impressed with the competitiveness of the field and the positive support of the thousands of spectators that attended to cheer on teams. In total, we had 188 teams participate which included a 7-team 16-18s Boys division. Next year we will be able accommodate 200+ teams so spread the word!
Congratulations to division champions, winners and finalists:
- 12s Gold Champion: Triangle 12 Blue
- 12s Gold Finalist: ECJVC 12 Black
- 12s Silver Winner: Sports Academy HEAT 12
- 13s Gold Champion: IC Stars 13 MB
- 13s Gold Finalist: ECJVC 13 Black
- 13s Silver Winner: Triangle 12 Black
- 13s Bronze Winner: CHAVC 13 Purple
- 13s Copper Winner: Triangle 13 White
- 14s Gold Champion: Carolina Edge 14
- 14s Gold Finalist: CJV 14 Megan
- 14s Silver Winner: ECJVC 14 Black
- 14s Bronze Winner: Crossfire 14 Mellie
- 14s Copper Winner: MOJO Elite 14 Blaze
- 15s Gold Champion: ECVC Hurricanes 15-1
- 15s Gold Finalist: Triangle 15 Black
- 15s Silver Winner: IC Stars 15-Joel
- 15s Bronze Winner: ECJVC 15 Purple
- 15s Copper Winner: ECJVC 15 White
- 16s Gold Champion: CJV 16 Wade
- 16s Gold Finalist: Triangle 16 Black
- 16s Silver Winner: Triangle 16 White
- 16s Bronze Winner: Sandhills Lightning 16 National
- 16s Copper Winner: ECJVC 16 Purple
- 16s Boys Champion: SERV 16 Boys
- 16s Boys Finalist: Triangle 16 Boys
- 17/18s Gold Champion: Triangle 17 Black
- 17/18s Gold Finalist: Triangle 18 Black
- 17/18s Silver Winner: NC Elite 18 Black
- 17/18s Bronze Winner: Carolina East Select
- 17/18s Copper Winner: JOCO-One 17
- 18 Boys Champion: CUVC 18-3 Michelle
- 18 Boys Finalist: Triangle 18 Boys
Full tournament results can be found at: https://www.advancedeventsystems.com/EventResults/(S(y2d4eh45eg5bdu45m15qaj55))/Standings.aspx?e=PTAwMDAwMTMzNzQ90&d=0
Lost and Found: We have a few items remaining after the tournament. If you are missing items please contact us by email [email@example.com] or by phone 919-544-9400. Shipping charges will apply to all items needing to be mailed.
College Recruiter List: We were thrilled to have over 40 colleges/universities represented at the City of Oaks Challenge.
AES Results: your teams’ results have been automatically uploaded into AES so there is no need for you to enter your results for seeding purposes in future events.
- 2019 dates: January 19-21.
- Registration will open in AES in mid-October.
Again, thank you for coming to Raleigh. Good luck with the remainder of your season and we hope to see you on the court soon.
Under its "Triangle Serves" service umbrella, Triangle is supporting two initiatives this fall/winter.
First, Triangle is collecting new and like new athletic clothing for Note in the Pocket, a local non-profit who provides clothing to impoverished and homeless children in Wake County. Their founders believe that it is unacceptable that children are limited in their educational and social development because they don't have appropriate clothing to wear to school. Donations will be collected in our gym through Saturday, December 15th.
Secondly, Triangle is assisting with bringing Borinquen Coqui 16 Steven [Puerto Rico] to the U.S. to participate in the City of Oaks Challenge on MLK, Jr. weekend. The story was covered by PrepVolleyball.com and donations to support the travel costs, estimated to be ca. $10,000 have been coming in from the greater volleyball community and Triangle's members. Any donations received in excess of the costs required to transport, lodge and otherwise accommodate the team will be donated to Puerto Rico relief efforts.
Every other year Triangle partners with Courts for Kids [C4K] on a mission trip meant for cultural exchange and to build a multi-functional outdoor cement court with the community. This is Triangle's third such mission trip; the first two were to Ciudad Neily, Costa Rica and Guayajayuco, Dominican Republic in 2014 and 2016 respectively. This year a group comprised of student-athletes and staff will head to Chalhuapuquio, Peru.
In January, sophomore through senior Triangle athletes will be presented with the details of trip, submit their applications and will begin their preparation. Athletes will fundraise to cover at least 1/2 of their trip costs while also sharing with the Triangle community the many things they learn about the community in which they will live while on the trip. Anticipated trip dates: July 10-19. Details TBD.
Just released are Triangle's slate of open-to-the-public Fall 2017 programs:
- YVP (Youth) (beginners)
- Classic Camps & Clinics (intermediate)
- Xtreme Camps & Clinics (advanced)
- AP Groups (college-preparatory level)
- Powercore 360 Hitting Clinic
- Triangle Setting Academy
- League Play - Junior League and the NEW Minor League
In addition Triangle has released preliminary 2018 Club Tryout Information which includes:
- Tryout Dates for the 2018 Club Season
- Parent Information Sessions
and our Free Fall Programming - Open Gyms and annual Open House, the perfect opportunity to learn more about Triangle.
Don't miss all the opportunities this Fall to learn how Triangle "BUILDS FEARLESS COMPETITORS"
[authored by Triangle's Associate Director, Mike Schall]