- Our Mission & More
- CLUB LEADERSHIP
- WCC FACILITY
- REN Athletics®
- NEWS (archive)
- City of Oaks Challenge
- MAPL Raleigh
- Carolina Pre-National
You are here
*** CJ Hunter ***
IN LOVING MEMORY...
Our hearts were deeply saddened when we lost CJ (Ceej) on February 8, 2021. His memory, spirit and love of all things volleyball will forever live in our gym. He will always be a part of Triangle and his bio will remain in its space.
#play4CJ | #livelikeCJ | #ceejtheday
April 8, 1991 - February 8, 2021
Hunter joined Triangle's coaching staff in 2013 and served as a resource, assistant and head coach at ages 13s-17s. In 2018 Hunter's role was expanded when he was hired as an Assistant Director; bringing a wealth of sport's administrative experience to Triangle's professional administrative team.
Hunter received a Master's degree in Sport Administration from UNC-Chapel Hill's Exercise and Sport Science department in 2015. While at UNC he worked in the Tar Heels’ Athletic Communications office, handling media relations and game day operations for the UNC Women's Volleyball team. In 2015, Hunter returned to his undergraduate alma mater, Duke, to serve as the Duke Women's Director of Volleyball Operations. In this role at Duke, Hunter handled numerous aspects related to sports administration including community event and game/tournament coordination, camp administration, department budget management, team travel, marketing and promotion.
Hunter was the 2016 recipient of Triangle's Sam Casey Caram Excellence in Coaching Award, which is presented to the coach who best demonstrates exemplary dedication and commitment to the mission and goals of Triangle Volleyball Club. Prior to coaching at Triangle, Hunter coached at Surry Storm Volleyball Club in his hometown of Mount Airy for five years.
Hunter is also a graduate of Duke University, where he pursued his passions in education as well as volleyball, earning a bachelor's degree in Political Science in 2013 and working closely with the Duke Women's Volleyball program as a student manager.
SIGNIFICANT COACHING ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- CJ Hunter was posthumously named to the AVCA Thirty under 30 list of young volleyball professionals with significant contributions to our sport and who are up and coming volleyball leaders.
- Hunter led 2020 Triangle 15 Blue to two  regional event first place finishes and two  top 10 finishes at national events, including a T5 finish at the Capitol Hill Classic in 15 Open.
- Guided 2019 17 White to a top 10 finish [T9 out of 87 teams] in the Gold Bracket at the Northeast Qualifier, and mentored six future NCAA athletes on the squad.
- Coached 2018 14 Blue to the championship match at both MAPL Hampton and MAPL Raleigh, winning the Gold Medal at MAPL Raleigh in the Red Division [13s-14s].
- Led 2016 Triangle 16 Silver to a T3 finish at the Capitol Hill Classic in 16 Club
- Worked four seasons on staff as the DOVO with Duke Volleyball, which included one trip to the NCAA Tournament in 2018.