City of Oaks Challenge is sanctioned by USA Volleyball through the Carolina Region [CR teams note that the City of Oaks Challenge counts towards eligibility for CR Championships].
POOLS ARE UP IN AES!!! Please check your team's schedule frequently and immediately before start of play each day of the event. With the level of COVID-19 we are hopeful all teams can make it but it is not outside the realm of possibility that teams may have to withdraw.
SCHEDULE/LOCATION UPDATE [1/5/22, 4pm]: with some division sizes changes we are able to host the Triangle Winter Classic (12s) at the Raleigh Convention Center AND the 14U Boys'
Wave Schedule: am waves in RED
- Triangle Winter Classic, RCC, 9am start Saturday only
- 12 Girls - RCC 8am wave Saturday/Sunday
- 13 Girls - RCC 3pm wave Saturday/Sunday
- 14 Girls - RCC 8am wave Saturday/Sunday
- 15 Girls - RCC 3pm wave Saturday/Sunday
- 16 Girls - RCC 3pm wave Saturday/Sunday
- 17/18 Girls - RCC 8am wave Saturday/Sunday
- 14 Boys - RCC 8am start, Sunday only
- 15-18 Boys - Triangle, 1pm wave start, Saturday (Sunday=minimum 2-match bracket play beginning at 8am)
Last Matches (multi-day divisions only):
- Junior girls divisions: 3:30 pm Monday
- 15-18 Boys: 1pm Sunday
We are in the process of seeding the teams, but tournament flow is set. NOTE: The junior girls 17s and 18s will play in a combined 17/18s division throughout the tournament. The junior boys will play in a combined 15-18U division throughout the tournament. We use a power pool format in some girls’ divisions to allow the strongest teams quality matches right out of the gate on Saturday.
To the extent possible, teams will compete in 4-team pools. In the case where 3-team pools are needed due to division sizes, the following applies:
- Only one 3-team pool in the group: Teams will play 2 matches with 3 full sets to 25. This is considered 'match equivalent to 3.'
- Two or Three 3-team pools in the group: Team will play two regular matches (best 2 out of 3) and then have a cross-over match with another 3-team pool on Sat/Sun.
- TIE-BREAK MATCHES will be avoided. Ties will be broken using Set % > Point % > Coin Flip.
- Work Teams - will provide a scorekeeper, flipper, libero tracker, two line judges and an adult R2 for each of their work assignments.
Results at this time of year are limited. If your team has results, please make sure they are loaded into Advanced Event Systems [AES] as they will be considered for seeding. First round pools will be posted in AES no later than 3pm on Tuesday, January 11th
Tournament Results and Schedule will be found on Advanced Event Systems (AES) and available early in the week of the event.
Team Check In
- Triangle Location: Team Check In for teams playing at Triangle will ONLY be on Saturday starting at 12noon
- Raleigh Convention Center Location: Team check in for ALL DIVISIONS playing at the RCC will take place at the Raleigh Convention Center [mezzanine level] as listed below.
- Players will not need credentials to enter the building with their team provided they are in uniform.
- Coaches will receive their QR code for entry on Friday, January 14th PROVIDED they are a fully rostered coach in AES. Club directors may email firstname.lastname@example.org by 1/13 to receive a complimentary QR code.
- Players watching siblings in a different wave can pick up a wrist band at championship desk before leaving.
- Club Directors attending but not on a team roster can receive free entry. Please email email@example.com and we will send you a QR code.
- Note: we are unfortunately unable to offer practice space on Friday night.
- Friday, January 14, 7-9 PM Mezzanine Level at base of escalator
- Saturday, January 15, 7 AM-2 PM Mezzanine Room 205
- Sunday (if needed for 14 Boys), check in at Championship Desk upon arrival
- Each team will receive a $10 Starbucks gift card at team check-in as a welcome gift from the Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance.
Athletic Training - Certified athletic trainers will be located at both the Raleigh Convention Center and Triangle Volleyball Club. All supplies used to treat injuries are free, but athlete’s requiring pre-competition taping must provide their own tape or will be charged a fee.
Coach Conduct - In the spirit of good sportsmanship and our role as adults to serve as proper role models for our youth we will simply not tolerate coach misconduct at our event. Actions like berating officials, work teams, tournament staff, athletes (your own or the opposing team) and any other behaviors that negatively impact the competitive experience for our participants and their guests will be grounds for removal from the event.
COVID-19 Match accommodations
- Triangle will provide an R1 for each court. Work teams will be provided from each pool.
- WARMUPS – will occur as “normal”
- COVID-19 accommodations during play:
- At the start or conclusion of a match there will be no high-fives or hand shaking with opposing teams.
- At the coin toss, teams will have the choice of serve or side. NOTE: side will NOT change during the entirety of the match. The BALLERTV live stream will stay at one end of the court for the entirety of the event.
- Officials will be masked and it is preferred they use an electronic whistle. If not, a mask must be worn over a traditional whistle.
- Match Transitions:
- Team Captains will stand at their respective ten-foot line for the coin toss.
- The R1 will go to the stand and beckon the starting players to the end line.
- Only the six starting players will go to the end line at the start of each set.
- The R1 beckons for the players to go to their starting positions not the net.
- When the game ends, R1 releases players directly to their respective benches.
- The game ball will be sanitized minimally between matches by the official.
Downtown Raleigh Guest Information
Foodie Downtown Map, is a comprehensive list of downtown Raleigh restaurants that can be filtered based on cuisine style, price, delivery options, and more.
GENERAL INFORMATION: The City of Oaks Challenge is an Open Entry tournament [first come, first served] sanctioned by USAV/Carolina Region.
- Entry Fees: 12U - 18U girls: $650; 15-18 Boys: $375; 14 Boys: $200
- Registration: Registration opens October 12, 2021 in AES
- Hotels: City of Oaks Challenge is NOT a Stay-To-Play event, however, we have secured rooms through Team Travel Source to assist with booking. Please check back for TTS booking link.
- Late Registration: Late registration date is 12/10/2021 and there is a $25 late registration fee.
- Roster Deadline: 12/10/2021 (Early); 1/6/2022 (Late). Note failure to have a complete roster in the event system will restrict event AES email communications to your team and staff.
- Refund Policy: A full refund will be given provided we receive written/email notification by December 10th, 2021 at 5:00pm (firstname.lastname@example.org.) There will be no refunds for withdrawn or dropped teams after this date.
- Event Cancellation Policy: In the event that City of Oaks is cancelled due to public health guidance or executive order relating to COVID-19, Triangle Volleyball Club and the City of Oaks tournament staff will make every effort to refund the majority of each team’s entry fee (less any credit card processing fees) after an accounting of all recoverable expenses. Minimally, teams should expect that $50 of each team’s registration fee will be retained and considered nonrefundable in the event of a cancellation to cover tournament administrative fees.
To Enter Event:
- Visit AES to enter teams [Rosters are not required for tournament entry]
- Print and sign tournament entry form
- Submit entry form and payment via check or credit card through AES [All checks payable to "Triangle Volleyball Club", 121 Competition Center Drive, Morrisville, NC 27560]
- Team Selection Process: Teams are selected on a first come, first served basis.
- GIRLS: 12U, 13U, 14U, 15U, 16U, 17-18U
- BOYS: 14U, 15-18U
- Triangle reserves the right to offer an invitational division for selected age groups
- Teams must play within their age division [no playing up]